James Steven LaMattery is a former first generation member of The Family International. He joined the group in the summer of 1971 at age 17, and left in December 1975. More recently, LaMattery has focused on attempting to bring awareness about the group while speaking out against their policies and practices. He currently works as a Real Estate Broker in San Diego, California.
- Dr. Phil: The Family Cult Escapees — 2005-10-03
- KFMB-TV: FBI Launches Investigation Into Sex Cult — 2005-04-04
 More Information
- Jim LaMattery biography on JimLaMattery.com
- Stealing God: My Unimaginable Journey into America's Most Notorious Christian Sex Cult: Apocalypse Afternoon — Portions of a book LaMattery hopes to publish.
- Superior Court of California, County of San Diego, Case D 152245 – (90 pages, 6MB) — 1980-81 divorce/custody documents related to the abduction of LaMattery's children by his ex-wife, Donna Jean Hathaway, a member of The Family.
- Jim LaMattery — Discussion of controversy surrounding LaMattery on MovingOn.org
- Jim LaMattery Fighting The Family International - Leaving a trail of collateral damage? — article by exFamily.org coordinator WC