"GEORGE"--Pioneering a Closed Society--MO January 10, 1971 NO.36
THE DOUBLE STANDARD OF THE ISRAELI RELIGIOUS SYSTEM.
Dear Children--Greetings in Jesus!
1. ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY JEWISH RELIGIOUS STUDENTS CAME BY BUS TO THE HOME IN JERUSALEM OF THE ARCHBISHOP OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH, arriving there at 7:00 a.m. in order to catch him on his way to the Orthodox Christian Celebrations in Bethlehem, and present him with two letters of PROTEST TO THE SOVIET UNION AGAINST THE TRIALS OF SOVIET JEWS THERE, AND THE DETENTION OF JEWS IN THE SOVIET UNION. The commentator made sure to point out that the protesting Jewish students were foreigners from other countries. They chanted their weird Jewish songs until the Archbishop appeared on his way to his car, at which time they presented the letters, which he refused to accept, saying this was a Holy day, and it was not a religious matter, but a political one: therefore, they should present their protests to the Finnish Ambassador, charge d'affairs for Russia in Israel due to the break in Russian-Israeli relations. The commentator also pointed out that the Russian Orthodox Church officials are the only Russians in Israel enjoying certain diplomatic privileges. The students told the commentator they were commemorating the death of two famous Jewish rabbis in Babylonian captivity many years ago.
2. THE WHOLE THING SOUNDED TO US LIKE ANOTHER GRANDSTAND PLAY BY WORLD JEWRY TO DRAW INTERNATIONAL ATTENTION TO THEIR PROBLEMS IN RUSSIA, particularly since the demonstrators were not even Israelis.
3. Immediately following this propaganda broadcast was an interview with the Professor of Religious History, University of Tel Aviv, Dr. Chaim Somebody, on THE STATE OF THE CHRISTIAN MINORITY IN THE PREDOMINANTLY JEWISH COUNTRY OF ISRAEL. The first questions asked the doctor was, "Who are these Christians in Israel, and what is the history of Christianity in Israel?" He made some rather vague illustrations to migrations of Christians into Israel from Armenia. Lebanon, and other nearby Christian countries, as well as to the remnants of Christianity left here by the Crusaders, and he said some Christians claimed they had even been here before the Jews. He said that Christians here enjoyed religious freedom to carry on their worship and practices, are very well off, well treated and respected by society, although NEARLY ALL OF THEM ARE ARABS, HE SEEMED A LITTLE RELUCTANT TO DIVULGE THIS FACT, THAT THE ARAB POPULATION OF ISRAEL IS CHRISTIAN, AS THIS IS A VERY TOUCHY SITUATION IN REGARD TO ISRAEL'S RELATIONS WITH THE CHRISTIAN WORLD AND IT'S DESIRE TO GET THEIR SYMPATHY AGAINST THE ARABS; so he also made sure to point out that these Arab Christians are led by foreign prelates such as the Russian Orthodox Archbishop, the Italian Roman Catholic Archbishop and Anglican Archbishop, etc., thus inferring that the Arabs would probably not be Christians if it were not for outside foreign influence. To counter this insinuation, he complimented the church leadership by saying, "The Archbishops of Jerusalem have always been extremely friendly and tried to work for peace." He did admit that virtually all the bishops under them were "Oriental," meaning Arab! All in all, the whole show was to paint a rosy picture of the state of the Christian church and its freedom in Israel. What they did not say was told us by a brilliant young Arab student yesterday, a fine Orthodox Christian--that BEFORE THE JEWISH TAKEOVER, THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE ARABS IN ISRAEL WERE CHRISTIANS, BUT THEY WERE SO DISCRIMINATED AGAINST UNDER JEWISH RULE, both economically and politically, that most of them fled the country and are now living in exile in refugee camps in surrounding Arab countries, which are predominantly Moslem, except for Lebanon. HE SAID THOSE ARAB CHRISTIANS COULD NOT GET JOBS, EXCEPT THE MOST MENIAL, MANUAL LABOUR, ALTHOUGH MOST OF THEM WE HAVE MET ARE EXTREMELY BRIGHT, INTELLIGENT AND WELL EDUCATED. He said that although they were already residents, only Jews were automatically made citizens of Israel, and the Arab Christians had to apply for citizenship, but were even then only given third-class citizenship, which he proved by showing us his own passport! They are not permitted to serve in the armed forces, unless they volunteer! The Druses, a peculiar Arab religious sect, neither Jewish, Christian nor Moslem, along with a certain Turkish-Arab group, are given preference above these Christian Arabs, and are rated as second-class Israeli citizens, leaving only Jews as 1st class citizens of Israel. He said, that although these Christian Arabs constitute at least 12% of the population of Israel, that he only knew of one or two Arabs in the entire Hebrew University here, less than 1% and that he himself, despite a high scholastic record, had been refused entry there, and was having to seek his education abroad. He also confirmed what we'd heard on the radio that very morning, that ISRAELI SCHOOLS ARE STRICTLY SEGREGATED: Jews in Jewish schools--and Arabs in Arab schools--and any integration or mixing is definitely discouraged. HE SAID THAT IN RELIGIOUS OBSERVANCES, THERE WAS MORE FELLOWSHIP AND MUTUAL RESPECT BETWEEN CHRISTIANS AND MOSLEMS THAN WITH THE JEWS. He also mentioned the fact that the Jews have made it a point to change the world famous Bible names such well-known Christian historical sites as Cana of Galilee, etc.
4. HE SAID THAT THE JEWS WERE EVEN DISCRIMINATING AMONGST THEMSELVES, which is something we have already heard, most of the politicians and army officers being Western Jews!
HELPING (THIRD WORLD FOREIGN) NATIONALS ATTEND OUR SCHOOLS
5. HE WAS A VERY SWEET AND CHARMING YOUNG MAN and spoke unusually good English, which he had learned in a famous Baptist school in Nazareth.
6. Out of a family of five boys and three girls--all Christian--four of the brothers, three of whom were running a small Arab restaurant where we were eating, in order to help support the mother and father and family.
7. THE TWO OLDER BROTHERS WERE EVEN PROMISING TO SEND THE YOUNGER, GEORGE, ABROAD TO COLLEGE, WE OF COURSE, PROMPTLY INVITED HIM TO OURS and told him to write to you for admission.
8. The Soul Clinic was approved by the [ALERT! CHECK FOR SANITIZATION: U.S. ] State Department and the Department of Justice for the admission of foreign students to our schools. I know this because of our experiences in this field with our school in Miami, and we used to have the necessary governmental forms on hand for this purpose. Ask Fred about this!
9. IN ACCEPTING A FOREIGN STUDENT, YOU NEED TO FIRST SEND HIM YOUR OWN APPLICATION BLANK TO BE FILLED OUT AND RETURNED BY HIM WITH ALL PERTINENT PERSONAL DATA, PHOTO, AND INFORMATION YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HIM. You probably still have some old copies around.
10. IF YOU APPROVE THE APPLICATION AND ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT HIM IN THE SCHOOL, YOU MUST THEN WRITE HIM A LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE, OFFICIALLY, FROM THE SCHOOL ON SCHOOL STATIONERY, ALSO PROMISING HIM SPONSORSHIP; that is, room and board, while attending school; in other words, what is known as a full scholarship.
11. THIS IS NECESSARY, AS THIS LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE AND PROMISE OF SPONSORSHIP IS THE FIRST OF THREE REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A STUDENT VISA TO THE STATES. The other two are a photostatic copy of the letter from the government Immigration Office of the government's original approval of Soul Clinic Schools for the acceptance of foreign students, and a governmental form supplied by your local immigration office, to be sent along with this letter of acceptance and sponsorship, and the photostat of the government's original letter of approval of our schools. These three items:
1) Your letter of Acceptance and Sponsorship.
2) Photostatic copy of the government's Letter of Approval of our schools.
3) The government blank, or form, from the Immigration Office.
--These three items must be sent to the prospective student himself, so he can present them personally to his local American Consul or Ambassador in his country in order to obtain a student visa to the United States. ALL THE STUDENT NEEDS THEN, IS HIS FARE FOR TRANSPORTATION, WHICH HE MUST SUPPLY HIMSELF.
12. WE ALWAYS FIGURED, UNLESS HE HAD THE FAITH AND THE INDUSTRY TO DO THAT MUCH FOR HIMSELF HE DIDN'T BELONG IN OUR SCHOOLS.
13. OUR YOUNG ARAB FRIEND, GEORGE, SAID HE'D BE MOST HAPPY TO DO SO, as he has written a number of other schools and colleges in the U.S., none of whom could afford him full scholarship, or room and board, as well as tuition--not even the religious ones, but rather told him he must have at least from 1,500 dollars to 3,000 dollars a year for his expenses!
14. His brother, however, said they'd be glad to try to send at least 100 dollars to 200 dollars a month for his expenses.
15. He wants to go to medical college and become a doctor, but we told him a year in our school would at least help him to get to the States, learn English better, get adjusted, and even find a medical school, if he still so desires, or at least get started.
16. I FIGURE A YEAR WITH US WILL EITHER MAKE OR BREAK HIM, AS FAR AS FORMAL EDUCATION IS CONCERNED, and maybe cure him of his present earthly desires of becoming a doctor in order to support his family here at home!
17. THIS IS THE REASON MOST OF THE POOR ARAB YOUNG PEOPLE HERE WANT TO GET AN EDUCATION--FOR THE RATHER COMMENDABLE PURPOSE OF WANTING TO HELP THEIR FAMILIES AND PEOPLE who have been made so poor and kept so by the Jews that they can hardly help themselves unless they obtain a high degree of education, qualifying them for needed professional positions; such as doctors, teachers, etc.
18. I FIGURE, IF THEY ARE SINCERE CHRISTIANS AND WE CAN AT LEAST PUT THEM THROUGH SOME OF OUR TRAINING, IT WILL CERTAINLY BETTER PREPARE THEM FOR THIS TASK, EVEN IF THEY THEN DECIDE TO GO ON TO A MORE FORMAL EDUCATION--GOD FORBID!
THE RESTRICTIONS OF THE ISRAELI SYSTEM
19. There's not much else they can do here, but accept the lower jobs, or starve--or serve the Lord!--Which to them sounds like letting their families starve, as they are often the sole support of their families, and as ANY FORM OF CHRISTIAN SERVICE HERE IS ONLY PERMITTED WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE ESTABLISHED, ORGANISED, AND RECOGNISED RELIGIOUS SYSTEM--NOTHING INDEPENDENT!
20. ANY OTHER RELIGIOUS ACTIVITY IS ILLEGAL AND ANY OTHER RELIGIOUS ACTIVISTS ARE ILLEGAL. You can be anything from a Russian Orthodox to an American Baptist if your denomination was already operating here as early as 1953, but you can't be what the Jews would classify as an independent Christian missionary--it's against the law!
21. THIS IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE RUSSIAN SYSTEM OF SO-CALLED RELIGIOUS FREEDOM, where only certain denominations are permitted to operate under rigid control, because Israel, too, is an officially anti-Christ nation!
22. Not only is it against the law to do any type of independent Christian evangelism outside the framework of the established churches, but Israel is also definitely ultra-conservative in her political and economic views!
23. THERE ARE VIRTUALLY NO ISRAELI HIPPIES, AS SUCH, SINCE NEARLY EVERYONE IS REQUIRED TO WORK OR BE IN THE ARMY, so there are almost no drop-outs whatsoever over here, except foreign visitors--and they are looked upon with disgust, particularly the American-type hippy, with both beard and long hair!
24. The French type of moderately full-cut college-style hairdo for close-shaven men is popular in some circles, particularly foreign students and recent immigrants, especially from France and Morocco, but the shoulder length of the American hippy is strictly taboo, frowned upon, and only tolerated because they're temporary American visitors from a country whose help the Jews need! Most of these are headed for Eilat, where drugs are easily obtained from across the border, and the weather is warm so they can camp out!
25. BESIDES, UNEMPLOYMENT IS DEFINITELY FROWNED UPON HERE, even if it were possible, but it is virtually impossible to live here without a job or income, since scrounging is non-existent as most of the population is already so poor, nothing is ever wasted or thrown away, much less given away to Christians, hippies, or so-called lazy loafers!
26. So hippyism, as we know it in the States, is almost non-existent here. You can't drop out, as there's no where to drop to--no way to survive--nothing but starvation!
27. IN ISRAEL, YOU EITHER WORK, FIGHT, OR DIE: THERE'S NOTHING ELSE!--Much less to try to be an illegal, independent Christian missionary! Even any casual incidental witnessing by temporary tourists is suspect, and could get you in trouble if they wanted to enforce the letter of the law!
28. NO, I'M SORRY TO TELL YOU, BUT ISRAEL IS NOT FREE! It is even more bound than the U.S., and there is less religious freedom than in the Western world. Israel is even more system than the U.S., more bound by convention, custom, education, materialism, politics, and religion, than any country we have visited! IT IS A CLOSED NATION TO THE GOSPEL, AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED, ESPECIALLY ANY SO-CALLED "NEW GOSPEL, SUCH AS OURS!
29. THE ONLY HOPE I CAN SEE, other than clandestine, illegal witnessing by visiting tourists with outside income, IS TO HELP EXPORT YOUNG CHRISTIAN STUDENTS, SUCH AS THIS ONE, TO OTHER COUNTRIES FOR TRAINING IN OUR SCHOOLS!
30. But to reach the Israelis, even the Arab Christians, he would have to return to some kind of job or profession or even religious system to carry on his witnessing here in Israel! Otherwise, his witnessing career here would be brief indeed, soon ending in either starvation, jail, or martyrdom. In Israel, there is only freedom for Jews, and not much of that! And let me tell you, a religious dictatorship is even worse than a political one, as Jesus and His disciples themselves discovered while they were here!
A WAY TO EVANGELISE A CLOSED SOCIETY
31. THEREFORE, IF WE'RE GOING TO REACH THE YOUTH OF ISRAEL WITH THE TRUE GOSPEL, WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THEIR SITUATION HERE--the impossibility of freedom from the system and the extreme difficulties of any independent form of Christian witnessing outside of the formal religions.
32. TO EVANGELISE AND TRAIN THEM IN OUR OWN COUNTRY AND SEND THEM BACK HERE AS CHRISTIAN LAYMEN SEEMS THE ONLY PRESENT HOPE, IF THAT! THERE WOULD HAVE TO BE, THEREFORE, SOME TOLERANCE WITH THEIR NEED TO OBTAIN FURTHER EDUCATION TO REACH THIS GOAL, AND THEIR STAY WITH US COULD ONLY BE A STEP IN THAT DIRECTION, WITH THE HOPE THAT THEY WOULD CARRY BACK SOME OF OUR SPIRIT AND MESSAGE TO THEIR BRETHREN here in Israel! For any outsiders to do it is nearly impossible. Israel for the Israelis is the slogan here, when they say Israelis, they really mean Jews! As in the case of mixed marriages, THEIR ATTITUDE HERE IS, "IF THEY DON'T WANT TO BE JEWISH, LET THEM GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!" SO THAT'S THAT!
JUDGEMENT MUST COME TO BRING CHANGE
33. ARIYE, OUR JEWISH HOST HIMSELF ADMITTED, ONLY SOME NATIONAL CALAMITY OR CATASTROPHE COULD CHANGE THIS! It looks as though this may be impending, due to the present international situation, the approaching collapse of the cease-fire, and negotiations for its renewal! We've heard on both British and Israeli radios, reliable reports of the progress of sixteen to twenty thousand Russian troops in Egypt, manning planes and missiles, poised for attack on Israel! And, from these reports--not mere ground-to-air missiles for the defense of Egypt against an aerial attack by Israel, but ground-to-ground missiles for the lobbing of rockets into Israel's interior and cities, in a direct attack upon Israel itself, which Egyptian President Sadat has virtually promised if the present cease-fire negotiations fail, and Israel does not withdraw from Israeli-occupied Egyptian territory.
34. His threats, his public admission of the presence of thousands of Russian troops in Egypt, ready for the attack, and the present renewed Arab guerrilla and terrorist activities here, are all ominous signs of an imminent renewal of hostilities and I'm sure the Russians are not about to begin to lose this one--they have too much at stake, too much invested, too much of their own personnel on the scene to see to it that the Egyptians don't muff it this time!
WAIT FOR GOD'S OPEN DOORS
35. WE ARE, THEREFORE, PLANNING TO LEAVE ISRAEL IN THE NEAR FUTURE BEFORE THE RESUMPTION OF THESE HOSTILITIES, GOD WILLING! We can see no possibility of any present work by us here under these conditions! Perhaps at some future time, after the war, or even during some Antichrist-enforced peace, or Tribulation--maybe even in the Millennium!--But certainly not now! The Jews have seen to that!
36. GOD ALONE KNOWS--AND HE WILL TELL US WHEN! HOWEVER, WE'RE STILL OPEN TO A MIRACLE OF GOD!
Copyright (c) 1998 by The Family}