The King James Version (KJV) of the Bible was the only (English) version of the Bible used in the Children of God/The Family International. The reasons for this were spelled out by David Berg in March 1980 in a Mo Letter titled, Why We Use the King James Version. Below is a summary of Berg's reasonings:
- It had the most spiritual translators, real believing translators, & therefore the most spiritual & correct translation.
- It's the best known, the most widespread & the most recognisable.--And if you quote it, most people will recognise it & know you're quoting them the Bible.
- It has been time-tested for nearly 400 years, & if you accept what it says & obey it, it works!
- It was written at the time the English language was spoken & used in its most perfect form.
- The English of the King James Version isn't nearly as hard to follow as its critics say. In fact, it is in general written in a much simpler vocabulary, with a higher percentage of one & two-syllable words, than almost any of the modern translations. The King James Version, in fact, is almost universally acknowledged as the greatest of all masterpieces of English literature.
- It is no longer copyrighted, meaning anybody can reprint it, copy it or publish it & they don't have to pay a copyright fee.
- The King James New Testament is the most accurate & reliable of Bible translations.
- The King James Version was not just the work of one man, but the work of a very large conference of the best men of God in England, & every problem was worked out by God's inspiration & the majority opinion.
- The translators decided not to add footnotes & explanatory notes, preferring to let the Word speak for itself.