In July 1999, Naomi Prendergast and her husband, Barry Gerard Prendergast (aka Zack), received the "Parents of the Year" award from the National Parents Day Foundation at a ceremony on Capitol Hill. Former members who heard of the award identified Mr. Prendergrast as a member of the Family who had abused children at a Victor Camp in Italy in the 1980s. After inquiries from Houston Chronicle reporter Evan Moore and others, the Prendergasts returned the award. According to article 8 of its restated articles of incorporation adopted May 25th, 1998, she was one of two Directors of Family Services Colorado, Inc.
- Tribute to Naomi and Zack Prendergast - Statement by former U.S. Representative Scott McInnis of Colorado’s 3rd Congressional District — 1999-07-21
- "National Parents Day Award goes to Cult Member," Ron Jones, soc.religion.christian, 1999-08-04
- Houston Chronicle: Past returns to haunt 'Parent of the Year' — 1999-08-04
- Daily Camera: Parenting Award Controversial — 1999-08-06
- Rocky Mountain News: Longmont dad denies ties to 'happy hookers' — 1999-08-06
- Colorado Springs Gazette: Man who returned parenting award denies ties to cult — 1999-08-07
- The Independent: Parent of the Year `ran camp for cult' — 1999-08-07