Editor's note: The following is an excerpt from a GN titled, "The Summit '96 Letters--Part 4" by Karen Zerby; Maria #355; DO#3081; July 1996.
Paul's Sample of Standing Strong for the Family!
20. Our dear Paul (formerly Pethuel), one of our long-time Family musicians, just wrote us a very precious letter in response to a message from the Lord that we had sent him. God bless this dear man for resisting this offer of everything that his heart could desire through Brother Thomas and Singing Sam--everything except to continue faithful to the Words of David and his Family.
21. All that Paul had been dreaming about was being offered to him! He had been working very hard to support his large family in a field Home, and hadn't been involved in full-time studio work for some time due to various circumstances, and now Sam and Brother Thomas were telling him that he could help with Sam's TV show and that Brother Thomas would give him a place to live and a beautiful studio--all, of course, at the price of his leaving the Family. Paul refused this offer so that he could continue to be faithful to the Words of David and his Family. What a wonderful, wonderful sample of forsaking everything else for Jesus and His will!
22. I'm really inspired about Paul and Micah and Brazilian Paulo setting up a studio to record Family music part-time, while at the same time witnessing and raising their support through their music ministry. Isn't it wonderful that we might be able to have another studio that could produce Family music, including maybe some songs more geared towards the adults' musical tastes, since the young people are getting so much of theirs via the FTTs? It's so exciting!
23. Obviously the Lord wants to bless these faithful men who could have very easily had all the financial backing they wanted, free housing, their own TV show, everything their hearts could desire in the way of ministries and financial support--and even a place of Christian service. But they chose to turn their backs on all of that--a great sacrifice--because they want to follow the Words of David and be in His Family more than anything else. They have hung on by faith, without even knowing what the future holds, without even knowing if they will ever have the ministry that they know the Lord has called them to. It really makes me cry. It's so, so beautiful! It strengthens my faith in our precious folks who are willing to suffer the loss of everything to follow the Words of David.
24. You know that the Lord wants to give them back everything that they've given up--even more--to reward them and show them how much He loves them. This sounds like it could be very exciting. I'd be so happy if these musicians could have a fruitful place in the Family where they can continue the ministry that the Lord has called them to and gifted them so greatly for.
25. Following are excerpts of Paul's letter to me:
Excerpts of Paul's Letter to Mama:
26. (Paul:) I don't think I can possibly put into words what I'm feeling. When I received your letter I was literally speechless. It was almost incomprehensible that I would receive a personal word from you, and even more inconceivable that Jesus would reach down to the depths of my despair to speak such Words of love to me, a literal spiritual wreck. It breaks my heart to know that He was there all the time and He would have spoken those same words to me, had I the faith to listen and believe. But I was afraid, and I was looking at the waves, walking by sight, all the wrong things. I'm ashamed to admit it, but it's true.
27. You and the Lord showed so much faith in me that I can't help but want to do all I can to prove myself worthy of such love and trust. But that is where I go astray so often, in that the Lord doesn't want me to prove anything. He just wants me to love Him, to surrender to Him, to let Him take me and ravish me so that I will never go away from His side. But in the midst of all this activity, face to face with all this need in every area, I repeatedly make the mistake of carrying the yoke myself and falling under the weight of a load that only He can carry.
28. I believe that is part of why the Lord has asked us men to become women in the Spirit in our times of love with Him, to take on the attributes of a yielded bride whose sole desire is to please her Husband--not concerned about doing those things which the Husband is responsible for, but only concerned about Him, His needs, and pleasing Him.
29. Thank you so much for giving me this chance to record again for the Family. Working with Micah this way is tremendous. I love working with him on music production when we do what the Lord designed us to do. I've been trying to get some kind of recording set-up to teach my kids what I've learned, but we could never get beyond the basic stage for lack of funds. I knew the Lord would eventually supply in some way, if only because of my importunity, not to mention my own teens' prayers and their willingness to work for it. So, many thanks and much love for your consideration and desire to help us get set up. We love you!
30. Thank you so much for taking the time to hear from the Lord for me and praying for me and my family! Your personal words and the Words from our dear Husband have turned my life around, drawn me out of the miry clay and set my feet upon the Rock! Jesus was so specific with me, even repeating a verse that He'd given me the night I decided to reject Sam and Brother Thomas' offer, where He asked me to choose to suffer affliction with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season.
31. I don't feel like it was some kind of heroic act or anything, Mama. We would have been miserable! We would have had to deny everything we believe! My last 25 years would have been meaningless, my children would have no future, our marriage would have crumbled and my life would have slowly wasted away to nothing. There wasn't really a choice to make--there was no comparison! Poor Sam sold his birthright for a mess of pottage, and what a mess it will turn out to be at that.
32. Forgive me for doubting your love and the Lord's Love. Forgive me for not asking for help sooner and confessing my weakness. Jesus, help me to learn and grow! I love you, Mama. There's so much I would like to say in the way of thanks and love, hopes and dreams, but I guess that's one of the things we can do in Heaven. Will you jot me down in your little black book? At least one dance! Ha! Thank you again for taking the time to pray for me and write me. What a privilege! That prophecy is my "Philadelphia Prophecy!" I'm going to, by His grace, build on that foundation. That's something I can stand on forever! Hallelujah!
--Love and Prayers, Paul (Pethuel)
Prophecy for Paul
33. (Mama:) Following is the beautiful message that the Lord had given for Paul, which he responded to in his letter above:
34. (Jesus speaking:) My dearest son, My dear Paul. How I wish to caress you, to kiss you, to hold you in My arms, very close to My heart, so that you will feel safe and secure as you lay your head on My gentle breast.
35. You are very special to Me, My son. Great is your love for Me, and great is My Love for you!--Wide, wide as the ocean; deep, deep as the seas! We are given to each other in marriage, and our relationship will last forever.
36. You have proven your faithfulness and loyalty unto Me. You have shown Me how much you love Me. You have not forsaken Me, even when it seemed to you that I might have forsaken you. You have remained a faithful bride. You have suffered affliction with the people of God, rather than enjoy the riches, fame and glory that the world had to offer you.
37. For this, My son, I am very proud of you, and you will be rewarded accordingly. My promise will be fulfilled, that he that has forsaken friends, jobs, and opportunities for My Name's sake, and has continued faithfully serving Me in My Family, I will reward accordingly, and I will give you an hundred fold. Silver and gold I may not give you, but what I will give unto you is much greater than anything money can buy. I will give you love, happiness, health and joy which you have never felt before! For as I have promised to all My children, I will care for you, and for your wife and children.
38. I love you, My son. Call unto Me and I will answer, for I delight in giving you what you ask for. I want to be there to help you, to uphold you, to caress you, to strengthen you. Thank you for how in spite of your doubts and fears, which caused you to go through tests and trials, you have remained close to Me.
39. Not only will I bless you and care for you, but I will bless and care for your loved ones as a reward to you, My precious son. You have believed in Me, so you and your household will be cared for. I will grant you the petitions of your heart as you continue to delight yourself in Me and learn to grow closer to Me. Dear Paul, I love you and I am proud of you. You are a son to be proud of! (End of prophecy.)
40. (Mama:) Amen! I certainly agree! Don't you? God bless him for his faith!