Steven Douglas Kelly
|Steven D. Kelly|
Peter Amsterdam, King Peter
|Born||22 April 1951, New York, USA|
|Spouse(s)||Karen Zerby, Gayle Kelly|
Steven Douglas Kelly is currently second in command to and common-law spouse of Karen Zerby. He was born April 22, 1951 in New York, USA, and raised in the San Francisco area. In recent years he legally changed his name to Christopher Smith, and pseudonyms used include Peter Amsterdam and King Peter.
Kelly was raised Catholic and joined the Children of God in the early 1970s in Amsterdam, The Netherlands (thus the "Amsterdam" appellation). From the beginning he was involved in low-level administration of the group, and quickly became involved with publications (see World Services). In the late 1970s, he ran the WS finance home in Geneva and Winterthur, Switzerland, collecting all tithe money from Family members.
After Michael Sweeney (father of Christina "Techi" Zerby) left David Berg and Karen Zerby, they were looking for a replacement. Kelly was on the short list along with Justus Ashtree, and eventually won out, being the "most loyal". He joined Berg's home around 1978.
His whereabouts since the early 1970s have always been a closely guarded secret. Most members of The Family International until around 2005 never even knew what he looked like or ever saw pictures of him. Since the "Reboot", he has become a bit more public. His last known location was in Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico in around 2010.
Alleged child abuse
According to eyewitnesses, Kelly told the then 14-year-old teenager to lift her garment, after which he spanked her nearly bare buttocks with his belt in front of about 25 Family leaders and World Services staff members. She received severe abuse from other members of the Berg and Zerby entourage, who tied her to her bed at night and dealt beatings which caused her to vomit and faint. This was ordered by David Berg, and carried out under the direct supervision of Zerby and Kelly. Additional excerpts from The Last State follow:
Reference to abuse by Steven Kelly in court documents
- Steven Kelly discusses Flirty Fishing, David Berg's flight from law enforcement authorities in Spain, Family videos, the exorcism of Merry Berg and other topics on The Love Prophet and the Children of God documentary. (5:09)
- Steven Kelly talks about how he became "King Peter" (1.4MB) — From "The Love Prophet" documentary
- Steven Kelly talks about the exorcism of Merry Berg (2.9MB) — From "The Love Prophet" documentary
- Steven Kelly describes use of video in The Family. Adult female dances nude while Children watch (2.6MB) — From "The Love Prophet" documentary
- Why Be a TFI Member Today by Steven Kelly in February 2013 on YouTube.
|Family Leadership Structure|
|Zerby/Kelly | World Services (WS) | Continental Officers (COs) | Visiting Servants (VSs) | Board Members | Home Teamwork
Superseded titles: Continental Reporting Officer (CRO)